Re: Breakage in X11 over ssh tunnel

From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy_at_mips.inka.de>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 02:46:33 +0000 (UTC)
Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net> wrote:

> In all of my system running current that are newer than 2/26/04 I am
> unable to run X applications over an SSH tunnel. I get a variety of
> errors, most pretty non-sensical, when I try. The tunnels are from
> stable systems to current system from yesterday or today.

OpenSSH's X11 forwarding now defaults to providing untrusted client
access, which prevents the X11 clients from performing some operations.
Alas, many X11 programs (or the toolkits they're based on, e.g GTK1)
rely on trusted privileges and fail if these aren't available.

You can enabled trusted X11 forwarding with ssh's -Y switch or the
ForwardX11Trusted configuration option.  Note that this poses a
security risk if the host where the X11 client runs is under somebody
else's control or has been compromised.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy_at_mips.inka.de