Re: adhoc doesn't work with centrino

From: <jqdkf_at_army.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:41:46 +0800
On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:08:14AM -0800, Bill Paul wrote:
> Uhm... leave out the "mode 11b" part. You don't have to do anything
> to force 11b mode (especially since most Centrino NICs are 11b only
> anyway).
>
> Just do:
>
> # ifconfig ndis0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
> 	ssid CATCUS mediaopt adhoc up
>
> I have gotten ad-hoc mode to work on the Centrino with my home network
> (it was the first thing I tested) so you ought to be able to get it
> to connect. Be wary of getting too clever with setting media options with
> ifconfig on if_ndis at this point: it needs work.
>
> The two things which I know will work are:
>
> # ifconfig ndis0 mediaopt adhoc		<-- select adhoc mode
> # ifconfig ndis0 media autoselect	<-- select BSS mode
>
> If it doesn't associate right away, you might try doing
> "ifconfig ndis0 down; ifconfig ndis0 up" once or twice to reset it,
> though in my tests I don't think this was necessary.
>
> Also, the only useful thing you can do with wicontrol(8) at this
> point is an AP scan:
>
> # wicontrol -i ndis0 -l
>
> The only reason wicontrol does this is... er... well... we don't have
> any other standard utility in FreeBSD that can do it.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. A strange thing is that, when I
specify adhoc with ifconfig, the light which shows wireless connection
will turn off, while if I use autoselect, it will turn on. I really don't
understand why it works with bss mode but not adhoc mode.
--
Zeng Nan

Simple is Beautiful.