Re: kernel panic when mounting root vinum volume

From: George D. Gal <ggal_at_vsecurity.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 23:00:55 -0500
Hello Greg,

Well, unfortunately I wasn't able to find the dot files you mention in the
documentation under /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/.gdb*

I've tried this particular configuration under FreeBSD 5.2.1-REL and
5.2-CURRENT and have the same problems under both. I'm using this exact config
on FreeBSD 4.9 without problems. I have not made changes to the system source.

My vinum list output is as follows:
2 drives:
D d1                    State: up       /dev/ad1s1d     A: 258/37122 MB (0%)
D d0                    State: up       /dev/ad0s1d     A: 258/37122 MB (0%)

4 volumes:
V rootvol               State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       2048 MB
V usrvol                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         12 GB
V varvol                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         10 GB
V datavol               State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         12 GB

8 plexes:
P rootvol.p1          C State: up      Subdisks:     1 Size:       2048 MB
P usrvol.p1           C State: up      Subdisks:     1 Size:         12 GB
P varvol.p1           C State: up      Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 GB
P datavol.p1          C State: up      Subdisks:     1 Size:         12 GB
P rootvol.p0          C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       2048 MB
P usrvol.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         12 GB
P varvol.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         10 GB
P datavol.p0          C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         12 GB

I've tried to also detach individual plexes to see if it would eliminate the
problem, without luck.

Unfortunately my vinum history and /var/log/messages has no error messages or
anything out of the ordinary for vinum or any other errors for that matter.

Since I have not yet setup the remote debug the details of the crash are as
follows.

Right before the crash I see a message stating, configuration already read
from d1.

Crash is Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address 0x60
fault code: supervisor read, page not present
inst ptr: 0x08:0xc050ebd6
stack ptr: 0x10:0xe06c29c4
frame ptr: 0x10:0xe06c29c4
code segment: base 0x0 limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
                            DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags: interupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process: 91 (vinum)
kernel type 12 trap, code 0

Stopped at devsw+0x6: cmpl $0,0x60(%eax)

running where in the debugger gives me the last few func calls:

devsw
initdrive
read_drive_label
check_drive