Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:37:18 -0800
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:22:55PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:22:10PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:24:31AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, SACK is often looked upon as a waste of effort to those
> > > who use nets in more commercial forms where aggregation of lots of small
> > > streams is how fat pipes are used. Research big science are about the
> > > only ones who have a real need for this kind of performance and it's
> > > growing fast. Without SACK, FreeBSD will be a non-starter for these
> > > purposes.
> >
> > I've got a co-worker who is part of a research group at ISI that
> > is doing research on long fat pipes with large streams.  They are
> > intrested in doing a SACK implementation.  I hope to have some more
> > information later this week.
> >

> Has anyone looked at Luigi's stuff?
>
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/sack.html
>
> The page states that Luigi had SACK available in FreeBSD 2.1R,
> which was released 8 years ago.

There are at least three implementations out there.  The big issue is
actually getting them brought up to current and committed.  There may
have also been come cultural resistance in the past, but lack of a
version that actually applies to the head of the development branch is
always a deal-killer.

-- Brooks