Re: I like SCHED_4BSD

From: Mike B <meb_at_cinci.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:19:39 -0500
Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> I just decided to revert to SCHED_4BSD for the time being.  Why?
>
> o Better interactivity -- No mouse jerkiness, no sluggish screen updates when
>   switching between virtual desktops, etc.
>
> o Better scheduling!  I'm serious here.  Watching top under SCHED_ULE, I'm
>   seeing 10, 15, 20 seconds go by where ALL processes are sleeping.
>   Processes seem to be spending inordinate amounts of time in the "kserel"
>   state.  This, of course, doesn't happen with SCHED_4BSD.
>
> I do hope there are no immediate plans to deprecate SCHED_4BSD altogether.  It
> just seems to work a whole lot better for me.  I'm probably not alone in this.

I couldn't agree more. After doing the suggested mappings in libmap.conf
and recompiling apps I can see a drastic difference in load times and
performance between ULE and 4BSD. Using ULE the load wait for firefox
could be anywhere from 10-30 seconds while with 4BSD it is a constant 4
second load time. When switching between desktops it can take up to 10
seconds to redraw the screen. This sluggishness isn't exclusive to
firefox, opera and openoffice are noticeably laggy under ULE as well. I
WANT to like and use ULE but the performance just isn't there.

Mike