Re: I like SCHED_4BSD

From: Ryan Freeman <ryan_at_slipgate.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:06:05 -0800
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:09:48 -0500
Scott Sipe <cscotts_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

> Julian Stecklina wrote:
> > "Will Saxon" <WillS_at_housing.ufl.edu> writes:
> >

> >>I am not experiencing this with firefox. It takes 2-3 seconds to
> >load. >I am also not experiencing issues with screen redraws.
> >

> > How did you get firefox to load that fast? It takes about 15 seconds
> > on my 1GHz laptop.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> FWIW, I have a 1GHz athlon laptop w/ 256mb ram, running CURRENT from
> about Mar 6, using SCHED_ULE, no libmap.conf.  I just installed
> Firefox from the binary package (firefox-0.8_4.tbz) which I got off
> FreeBSD ftp. Firefox starts in about 2.5 seconds for me too.

well, i have a 1.2ghz duron, 384mb ram and a 4.3gb fujitsu harddrive
running with UDMA66 and a 20gb maxtor drive with UDMA100. curiously,
firefox takes about 10-12 seconds to load. (earlier today it took 20+
seconds and i was quite shocked). HOWEVER, i ran mozilla 1.6-something
and it took only 3-4 seconds to load! the only excuse i can see for this
is that i compiled firefox on release-5.2 and mozilla after
release-5.2.1(only because of that damn mplayerplug-in, too :/) also
when i compiled firefox i didn't have CPUTYPE=athlon set in
/etc/make.conf, it was compiling with the default pentiumpro it seems.
could that really affect load times that much?

- ryan