Re: "nanobsd" prototype

From: Robert Blacquiere <freebsd_at_guldan.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:37:07 +0100
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:32:18PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20040310145133.GU52357_at_bombur.guldan.demon.nl>, Robert Blacquiere w
> rites:
> >
> >Just a thought, i did not read the full patch, what "base"
> >apps/progs are installed? If i look at something like opensoekris,
> >flashbsd or picobsd it looks in a file which apps are wanted, and
> >then searches the libs to go with it. I don't know yet how big this
> >nanobsd will be. But if we use something like or picobsd like crunch
> >conf to select the programms we need, and only install these.
>
> nanobsd contains nothing but a cut down FreeBSD distribution, anything
> you want in addition to that you must put on there yourself.
>
> The makefile contains a target called Customize where you can do that
> sort of stuff.
>
> The point of nanobsd is simply to create a tool for putting FreeBSD
> on small media for embedded computers.

Yes i know, but i was thinking of shrinking it more. Just install what is
needed. things like dd, pax, mount_(obscurefs and unneededfs) etc just to
name a few which i don't need on my machine 32 mb flash card. But i know
it should be configurable enough and have a base to work from.
Is there a list of progs which get installed with libs etc?

I have seen the make.conf with mostly everything NO_${SOMETHING}=yes
But i think this methode is reverse of what i want. I make a list of
programs i need sh, ifconfig, wicontrol, mount etc for my "appliance".
And have a script which lists all libs needed. This way i think i have
trimmed down FreeBSD to a bare minimum for my system.

So now it's image fits on a 32 mb flash card (with room to spare).

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!