Re: semi HEADS UP: icc support committed

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:08:52 -0700
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:34:01 +0800
> "Jun Su" <junsu_at_delphij.net> wrote:
>

>>>Tom Rhodes committed my icc patches. This should have no impact on
>>>compiles with gcc, but allows to compile the kernel with Intels C/C++
>>>compiler.
>>>

>>Any plan to setup a icc-tinerbox? It should be helpful to find out more
>>problem in the code as you mentioned before.
>

> It's only the kernel, the world isn't instrumented with icc support. If
> our tinderbox maintainer is willing to add a icc-kernel only one, it's
> not a problem. But AFAIK the tinderbox is fully utilized, so I don't
> know if it is able to handle the additional load.
>
> As the FreeBSD project has a commercial icc license, we would also be
> able to distribute icc compiled kernels, if someone is adventurous
> enough to test such a beast (I have a icc kernel running on a test box,
> it survives a complete ports build)...

Even though the project has a license to distribute icc-derived
binaries, I can't see us doing it in a general case.  For one, it
would significantly complicate the release scripts, since those expect
to find everything in CVS.  Second, users would not be able to recompile
their kernels using icc, taking away the key benefit of open source.

It might be interesting to provide an icc-compiled GENERIC that is
available via web or ftp.  Maybe one day we could even have a web applet
that compiled custom kernels.

Scott