Re: GCC include files conundrum.

From: Daniel Lang <langd-freebsd-hackers_at_leo.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:25:16 +0100
Hi,

David Gilbert wrote on Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 08:55:24PM -0500:
[..]
> I'll ignore the condescending tone for a momment.  It's worth noting
> that everything works by simply having a copy of strstream.h in the
> backward directory.  Maybe the right path to take here is to include
> that file much as we include old versions of shared libraries.
[..]

I disagree. Valid standards should be enforced. Providing
compatibilty just keeps more and more non-compliant pieces of code
around. The earlier authors and maintainers are forced to
update their software to be standard-compliant the better.
Even if it's painful and apparently unnecessary work for the
moment. It is beneficial in the long run.

This is just my general opinion on such things.

In your particular case, maybe you could add a copy
of strstream.h as a patch to the port into the build
directory and reference it as "strstream.h" instead of <strstream.h>.
Thus the system libstdc++ headers do not need to be
polluted.

My 0.02 ¤,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - Me transfere sursum, Caledoni -
 Daniel Lang * dl_at_leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/