Re: HEADS UP! MAJOR change to FreeBSD/sparc64

From: Stephen McKay <smckay_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:08:34 +1000
On Sunday, 14th March 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>The sparc64 users (including me) felt that if we "just did it" now,
>we would be much happier than waiting for 6.0 to roll around.

OK.  I was reading too much into this.  I assumed this was going to be
the template for how all architectures would do it.

>In the case of i386, there is a 10-year history of servers and
>programs running with 32-bTT, in production.  I do also run
>freebsd/i386, and for that platform I really can not imagine making
>this major a change without providing backward-compatibility.  There
>is just too much written which assumes 32-bTT, including programs
>which perhaps can not be recompiled.

I think we share pretty much the same view.  Backward compatibility on i386
is essential.  To achieve this every library version number will need to
be bumped (as well as other work, of course).  People seem to object to
increasing library version numbers, so there may be a fight over this.

>I do not see that happening before the 6.0-branch.

We have less than 34 years to get this right! :-)

Stephen.