Re: reliable disk FAILURE

From: Elliot Finley <lists_at_efinley.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:48:59 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Søren Schmidt" <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
To: "Elliot Finley" <lists_at_efinley.com>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: reliable disk FAILURE

Elliot Finley wrote:
> when doing a disk-to-disk backup using dump/restore, I reliably get a disk
> failure.  I don't think it's the disk because it happens on six different
> machines.  All six machines are using SATA drives.  They all have an ASUS
> P4P800 MB.
>
> None of the six machines had any problems until after the last security
> patch to 5.2.1.  After the patch, they all fail.  If I remember correctly,
> the last security patch only touched some TCP files, so the disk failures
> don't make any sense to me.
>
> commands causing the failure, console output and dmesg are below.  This is
> on a test machine that I can take down or modify at any time, so if there
is
> anything further that I can do to help debug this - please let me know.

- Does it also fail if you use the Promise channels instead ?

There is NOT a failure if both drives are on the Promise controller.  There
is also NOT a failure if both drives are on the motherboard IF I turn off
HyperThreading in the BIOS.  The failure happens if both drives are on the
motherboard and HyperThreading is on.

Elliot