Re: Mysterious 60min reboot on net4501

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:09:52 +0100
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:53:30AM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2004 00:35 schrieb Bernd Walter:
> > >
> > > Cron doesn't run at all.
> > >
> > > If it only was that simple.....
> >
> > Maybe a too small power supply - current utilizes the CPU a bit more
> > and therefor requires more power.
> > At least -current never gave me such problems with soekris boards.
>
> You are right, ther also was a problem with the power supply but I had
> replaced the old one by a 6V/2A model. I'm astonished about the 60 min
> interval. What bug could caus this? Today I'll revert all the "newies" like
> crypto hw/support aso.

Why do you think it's a bug?
Maybe some intervall loads the CPU more than the remaining time.
The elan520 has a very load dependend power consumption.
I don't know what happens special at 60min uptime - maybe something
simple like named cache garbadge collection or so.
The hifn chip consume a lot of power independend of beeing used or not,
so removing kernel support for it won't help much.

ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de