Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:04:39 -0700
Colin Percival wrote:
> At 04:43 17/03/2004, Scott Long wrote:
>  >FreeBSD is an operating
>
>> system.  It is not a kernel with interchangeable userland pieces.
>

>   Nor, I think, do many users want a kernel with interchangeable
> userland pieces.  What I hear from many users, however, is that
> they would like an operating system with optional pieces -- so
> that they could sysinstall FreeBSD without sendmail, named, or
> doscmd (to take a random example).
>
> Colin Percival

The trick here is to know when you start sliding too far down the
slope.  It's hard to argue about sendmail, named, gcc, etc, but where do
you stop?  Before long, you'll be chopping out nvi for the people who
favor vim, and so on.  I'm actually more in favor of keeping FreeBSD as
the 'reference implementation', and encouraging others to make
derivatives off if it that satifies these kinds of needs.  But we will
see where things head.  Above all, I support your work, but just ask you
to be cautious and not this get carried away.

Scott