Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Colin Percival <colin.percival_at_wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:26:50 +0000
At 07:04 17/03/2004, Scott Long wrote:
 >The trick here is to know when you start sliding too far down the
>slope.  It's hard to argue about sendmail, named, gcc, etc, but where do
>you stop?  Before long, you'll be chopping out nvi

   One of the packages I created was freebsd-base-vi...

>  for the people who
>favor vim, and so on.

... although I was actually thinking of people who use Emacs. :-)

>   I'm actually more in favor of keeping FreeBSD as
>the 'reference implementation', and encouraging others to make
>derivatives off if it that satifies these kinds of needs.  But we will
>see where things head.  Above all, I support your work, but just ask you
>to be cautious and not this get carried away.

   I wasn't even considering making any commits here; I just wanted to
throw out some code, point out that we really can split the base system
into a number of optional pieces, and see where discussion went.  This
might be useful for a sysinstall replacement, for one thing.

Colin Percival