Re: ERROR: Required proxy user is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.

From: Wes Peters <wes_at_softweyr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:03:44 -0800
On Monday 15 March 2004 09:50 am, David O'Brien wrote:

> > >Read /usr/src/UPDATING.
> >
> > There is nothing about any proxy user there. And I don't wan't
> > to read everything there, since the system in question isn't
> > critical at all.
>
> If you can't be bothered to spend the time to read the file we spent a
> lot of VOLUNTEER, UNPAID TIME to write; I'm sorry -- there isn't much
> more we can do for you.

Except for the part where THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT ANY PROXY USER THERE.

I assume you're talking about this entry:

20040308:
        The packet filter (pf) is now installed with the base system. Make
        sure to run mergemaster -p before installworld to create required
        user accounts. If you do not want to build pf with your system you
        can use the NO_PF knob in make.conf.
        Also note that pf requires "options PFIL_HOOKS" in the kernel. The
        pf system consists of the following three devices:
        device          pf              # required
        device          pflog           # optional
        device          pfsync          # optional

I would be REALLY NICE if the message mentioned SOMETHING that occurred
somewhere in this entry.  I stumbled across this too, because I read
the UPDATING entries looking for something about "proxy" and didn't
catch this item, so I didn't watch the changes to passwd closely enough
in mergemaster -p.

Let's try to make references to UPDATING a bit more clear, and be a little
less terse with each other when problems do arise, mmm'kay?

And Marcin: if you don't have time to read UPDATING, you don't have time
to run -CURRENT.  It's a necessary part.  Really.

Wes Peters                                              wes_at_OpenSail.ORG