Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: David O'Brien <dev-null_at_NUXI.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 03:09:38 -0800
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 01:57:25PM +0100, Johan Pettersson wrote:
> If you want to remove it would be nice to have the ability to remove it with pkg_delete. Maybe I want to remove gcc, binutils whatever. I think the base-system should be pkg-based. It is much more flexible.
>
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:51:21 +0100
> Kai Voigt <k_at_123.org> wrote:
>
> > Johan Pettersson wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be nice to have ha pkg-based base system? So you easily can remove parts from the base system, like openssh, ipfw, ipf, bind, sendmail and so on. This couldn't be too hard to implement. :)
..snip..

Johan,

1. DON'T TOP POST, follow Netiquette (and trim what you quote).
2. WRAP your lines, this is a traditional Unix based list -- lines less
   than 79 characters long, thank you very much
3. Thank you for starting the monthly bikeshed.  If you don't know how
   much a bikeshed this is (or even what a 'bikeshed' is), go read the
   archives.
3. Sounds like you want Linux with its RPM's, not BSD.  We consciously
   don't wrap the base system in pkg_add tarballs.  We generally LIKE the
   entire system being a single integrated blob.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)