Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:25:28 +0100
On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:09, David O'Brien wrote:

> 3. Sounds like you want Linux with its RPM's, not BSD.  We consciously
>    don't wrap the base system in pkg_add tarballs.  We generally LIKE the
>    entire system being a single integrated blob.

Yes and no. Perl was removed from base, wasn't it? Anyone needing perl
can install install it from ports (read: it's one of the first ports
most people install). Why can't the same be applied to bind and
sendmail? Make them optional, at least. Most of the people I know never
bother with sendmail and go straight for postfix as soon as the system
is up. Having certain parts as optional and/or in packaged form can be
beneficial IMHO, without going to the extreme of having everything
packaged (e.g. libc, tcsh, etc). I think Colin's stuff deserves some
consideration before throwing the idea out. But, OTOH, if FreeBSD
committers don't like the idea, one can always fork(2).

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org