Re: Pkg-based base system.

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:43:26 -0800
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:25:28PM +0100, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:09, David O'Brien wrote:
> > 3. Sounds like you want Linux with its RPM's, not BSD.  We consciously
> >    don't wrap the base system in pkg_add tarballs.  We generally LIKE the
> >    entire system being a single integrated blob.
>
> Yes and no. Perl was removed from base, wasn't it? Anyone needing perl
> can install install it from ports (read: it's one of the first ports
> most people install). Why can't the same be applied to bind and
> sendmail?

Bind and Sendmail are traditional BSD components.  The 'B' in "BIND" is
"Berkeley".  Perl was never part of traditional BSD.  Being present in
traditional BSD is one of the justficiations for having something in the
base system.  If you don't want BSD, there are alternatives.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)