Re: Nuking parts of the world

From: Randy Bush <randy_at_psg.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:59:48 -1000
>>    usr.sbin/nslookup should be part of freebsd-base-bind, not
>>     freebsd-base, just like dig, host and dnsquery (there's probably
>>     more).
> I thought about those for quite a while.  I ended up deciding that
> while they are technically part of bind, the most likely reason why
> someone would want to remove bind is if they are replacing the *name
> server* with something else (eg, djbdns), and they would probably be
> surprised if {nslookup, dig, host, dnsquery} disappeared.

not exactly.  some number of us, and i do not know what proportion,
merely want to run a version of bind different than that installed
by the default make world.  currently, when we install a new system,
we have to manually take out the default dig, host, ...

in general, i suspect that second-guessing users' perception of
package boundaries, as opposed to sticking with the formal chunks,
will increase entropy.

randy