RE: odd dmesg scsi error with aic7902 controller

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:17:28 -0500
On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 18:06, Don Bowman wrote:
> From: Sven Willenberger [mailto:sven_at_dmv.com]
> > Have just moved to supermicro 1U boxes using 80-pin SCA
> > drives (Seagate
> > ST336607LC) and U320 adaptec on-board controllers (aic7902) and the
> > error shown in the dmesg below crops up during bootup.
> >
> > The odd thing is that it only occurs if 2 or more drives are
> > connected;
> > if only 1 drive is physically attached, the boot up sequence
> > is smooth.
> > These boxes are not yet in production and I hesitate to do so if the
> > error message is an indication of future problems. This same message
> > does occur in FreeBSD 4.9-Release also. The following dmesg snippet
> > comes from a 5.2.1-Release system:
>
> Upgrade your firmware on the drive. This is available from
> seagate. You want version 007. I have a utility that can
> do this under bsd if you wish.

The firmware on the drive from which server I posted the dmesg was 0007:
da0: <SEAGATE ST336607LC 0007> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device

However, I do have drives that are 0006 so I really could still use the
bsd utility as I would like to avoid doing this via windows for those
drives (I still have maybe a dozen with firmware 0006). I did get the
image itself from Seagate ....

Sven (who hopes not to spend all summer on this issue :-P    )