Re: NDIS not compiled

From: Anton Nikiforov <anton_at_nikiforov.ru>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:52:21 +0300
Hello Bill and thanks for your answer.
Anyway i have my Broadcom working (not yet tested with real wireless
traffic, but it is showing in interface list and i could change it's
parameters).

Bill Paul ?????:

>>Dear All
>>I'm trying to start my WiFi adapter under FreeBSD-CURRENT (cvsuped
>>today) usinf NDISulator.
>>I made an ndis_driver_data.h file using
>>ndiscvt -i bcmwl5a.inf -s bcmwl5.sys -n bcw -o ndis_driver_data.h
>>(I have even tryed not to use -n option - it is make no sence, and
>>currently it is turned off)
>>Then i edited my kernel configuration file and added
>>options         NDISAPI
>>device          ndis
>>device          wlan
>>

>Ok, first of all, I've been trying to get people to build ndis.ko
>and if_ndis.ko as modules specifically to avoid these kinds of problems!
>Is there any specific reason you chose to ignore my suggestion?

I did so, i did not ignore your suggestions because i did not see you
were suggesting (maybe i miss a very valuable part of your comments, but
i miss them anyway).
The specific reason why i want to have the driver compiled into the
kernel - i want to test the driver in the "server environment". Of
course it is not possible with my notebook, but on the server (IMHO) all
the constantly used drivers should be comiled into the kernel to
minimaze the module managment and other module-dependend computing.
For my notebook when it is used as notebook i have nothing against
building and using modules (even because i'm using my WiFi adapter twice
a month).

>>options         KSTACK_PAGES=8
>>(The last string is taken from one of discussions here, just in case, i
>>have even tryed without it the result is the same)
>>

>*sigh* I said you only need this for the Intel 2200BG driver. You don't
>need it for the Broadcom drivers.

I've read your message and understood it. But did i tell you i have NO
Intel 2200BG?
Maybe it was stupid to put this option when testing Broadcom but i did
it just in case.

>>linking kernel
>>if_ndis_pci.o: In function `ndis_attach_pci':
>>if_ndis_pci.o(.text+0x55e): undefined reference to `ndis_attach'
>>if_ndis_pci.o(.data+0xf4): undefined reference to `ndis_detach'
>>if_ndis_pci.o(.data+0xfc): undefined reference to `ndis_shutdown'
>>if_ndis_pci.o(.data+0x104): undefined reference to `ndis_suspend'
>>if_ndis_pci.o(.data+0x10c): undefined reference to `ndis_resume'
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Could someone please tell me what i did wrong?
>>

>You took out pccard support from your kernel config. if_ndis.c depends on
>pccard, so put it back:
>
># PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
># Pcmcia and cardbus bridge support
>device          cbb                     # cardbus (yenta) bridge
>#device         pcic                    # ExCA ISA and PCI bridges
>device          pccard                  # PC Card (16-bit) bus
>device          cardbus                 # CardBus (32-bit) bus

Thanks. I've already found this from the code, but i do realy appreciate
your help.

Anton

--
? ????????? (Best regads),