Re: sound issues in -CURRENT

From: Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:43:10 +0100
V t, 23. 03. 2004 v 09:26, Sren Schmidt pe:

> > Heavy disk I/O seems to be a trigger for the problem. I always hear the
> > screwups, but i.e. when building mozilla or openoffice (during the
> > extract phase with heavy I/O), sound almost slows down to a complete
> > stop, stutters and hicks and cracks all the time - to a point where the
> > music is almost impossible to even identify anymore.

> I think you are suffering from the high interrupt latency in -current,
> this combined with a soundcard with a small buffer would easily lead to
> your problems. A slow disk or PIO mode could also be troublesome in some
> cases. You do have witness etc turned off right ?

I hear this too, on both my cards (Soundblaster 128 and onboard AC97
codec). I have all possible debugging turned off. Heavy disc activity
like untarring triggers the symptoms, which sounds like buffer underruns
on the soundcard. Almost sounds like a new ATA stack is really effective
(leaving little CPU cycles for feeding data to soundcard).

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_oook.cz>
              <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>

In God we trust. All others must use the callback verifier.