Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:12:04 -0800
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:33:03PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 05:18:53PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > project                expressd interest
> > TLS/toolchain        	alfred, marcel, myself
>
> A couple of things come together:
> o  gdb upgrade
> o  New kdb framework
> o  TLS support + debugging
> o  Thread debugging

I still haven't seen any plan or commitment for LTS and GDB.  Other than
pushing me to spend my time importing a new binutils (which is broken for
sparc64).  If I import a new binutils, you need a new GCC to take full
advantage of it.  After GCC 3.4 is imported, what *commitments* are
people willing to make to carry it farther?  What will that work entail?

Note that ANYONE that hacks on our GDB should have FSF paperwork on file.
We HAVE to get out of the mess of all of our local hacks.  The reason
ports/devel/gdb6 still isn't active is the mess of bringing our GDB 5.2
hacks forward to GDB 6.1.  I've had a WIP for a while, but it is really
painful because we haven't done any due diligence in getting our needs
taken care of in stock FSF GDB.  That hasn't been able to happen to date
because the people that made many of our GDB commits wouldn't file FSF
paperwork. :-(