Re: 5.2.1-RELEASE boot-hang with Cyclades pci card Cyclom-16YeP/RJ45

From: Peter Olsson <pol_at_leissner.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:46:47 +0100 (CET)
Hello!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > : Is anyone using Cyclades port cards in 5.2.1?
> >
> > I have a cyclades driver that I've sent to bde that worked about a
> > month before 5.2 was released.  It also removes the compat_oldisa
> > junk.
>
> Um, -current has a cyclades driver that worked until the COMPAT_ISA
> "junk" was removed.  5.2 has the same version as -current, so it should
> work too.  Anyway, COMPAT_ISA is not used at runtime for pci cy cards.
>
> The problem reported at the start of this thread may be caused by an
> interrupt storm.  These usually have nothing to do with drivers.
> Try booting without acpi, and configuring without apic (note:
> apic != acpi).

I have tried this now. I have a different server, a different cyclades
PCI card and a different port card (with 8 ports). Same boot hang problem
after adding the cy driver and COMPAT_ISA. Booting without acpi didn't
help. After a while I got this in the hung boot, if it is interesting:
spin lock (null) held by 0 for > 5 seconds
panic: spin lock held too long
cpuid = 0;
Uptime: 1s
Shutting down ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds

Then I commented out these two lines in my kernel file:
options SMP
device apic
With the new kernel the server boots ok with the cyclades card
connected, and I get contact with the router on port 1 in the port card.
I didn't have to boot without acpi, just commenting out SMP and apic
made it work.

We can live without SMP and apic if they are only in the kernel for
multiple CPU support. By the way, does Hyper Threading in the CPU
require SMP/apic?

Thanks!

--
Peter Olsson             pol_at_leissner.se
CCIE #8963               +46 520 500511