Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:22:22 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:56:15PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> > >who cares?
> >
> > I want the platform to be taken seriously.  It is going to be a
> > major challenge to the FreeBSD project to have multiple "tier 1"
> > platforms, and it isn't good to hear a cavalier "Who Cares?" so
> > early in handling that challenge.
> >

> I'm not so sure that Julian was being cavalier.  After watching
> Julian, Dan, and David repeatedly ask for a sparc64 (and alpha)
> person to help implement KSE, I suspect Julian was really asking
> "Who cares enough about sparc64 to help implement the missing pieces
> to get TLS moving forward?"
>
> From where I sit on the side lines, this looks like a catch-22. David
> doesn't want to spend the time and effort to upgrade binutils without
> the commitment of implementing TLS on all tier-1 platforms.  Julian
> and Dan don't want to make that commitment to all platforms until they
> had the opportunity to implement it on at least i386, which can't be
> done with a new toolchain.

We've said this at other times, but TLS support is already
partially designed in to libpthread (for all archs).  We
can (and will) implement it for them regardless of whether
the library functions perfectly for those platforms.

Both sparc64 and alpha seem to work OK when libpthread is
built in 1:1 mode, so I suspect the real problem is resuming
the thread contexts in userland and/or passing out the
context in the expected format from the kernel.

--
Dan Eischen