Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:44:53 -0800
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:56:15PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 12:22 PM -0800 3/24/04, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, David O'Brien wrote:
> >>
> > > Uh, what about basic functionalty on Sparc64 and Alpha?
> >
> >who cares?
>
> I want the platform to be taken seriously.  It is going to be a
> major challenge to the FreeBSD project to have multiple "tier 1"
> platforms, and it isn't good to hear a cavalier "Who Cares?" so
> early in handling that challenge.

I'm not so sure that Julian was being cavalier.  After watching
Julian, Dan, and David repeatedly ask for a sparc64 (and alpha)
person to help implement KSE, I suspect Julian was really asking
"Who cares enough about sparc64 to help implement the missing pieces
to get TLS moving forward?"

>From where I sit on the side lines, this looks like a catch-22. David
doesn't want to spend the time and effort to upgrade binutils without
the commitment of implementing TLS on all tier-1 platforms.  Julian
and Dan don't want to make that commitment to all platforms until they
had the opportunity to implement it on at least i386, which can't be
done with a new toolchain.

--
Steve