Re: SF Bay area hackfest

From: Wes Peters <wes_at_softweyr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:14:31 -0800
On Monday 22 March 2004 18:46, Scott Long wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I've been thinking that we had so much fun at the dev summit here that
> > it might be a good idea to have a hackfest here for local
> > FreeBSD types.. Something like from Saturday noon to Sunday Noon.
> >
> > Good connectivity, good CVS mirrors, test machines etc, drinks and
> > lotso parking..  LOTS of whiteboard :-)A
> >
> > If anyone thinks this would be good let me know and I can start working
> > on it..
> >
> > We always seem to get a lot done in the terminal room at USEnix etc.
> > why not have a terminal room without the usenix?
> >
> > possible things for people to look at in groups..
> > we could even have people dial in for some purposes/discussions
>
> I'd love to attend, but my ability to get to the BA is limited.  Any
> chance there could be some sort of interactive, or at least streaming,
> audio?

I agree 100% with Julian, so much so that I've asked my employer if they'd
be interested in hosting such a thing here in Sunny San Diego.  It turns
out we would.

Not wanting to stomp on anyone's toes, I'd be happy to arrange such a think
at a convenient time for people to gather.  We might even be able to help
with travel for a few select individuals, and to arrange group discounts
for large contingents invading from the Bay Area.

Since San Diego is such a fun place to visit, it would be a good idea to
pander to hacker families as well.  My wife has (been) volunteered to serve
as tour guide and transportation coordinator for this endeavor, assisting
spouses and offspring in identifying San Diego attractions, getting there,
getting back, and getting covered with sunscreen in between.

Anyone interested in such an outing, please contact me OFF-LIST.  I'd like
to know when might be a good time, how long you'd like to stay, etc.  We
can have the facilities at work over any weekend, but if we want to do
weekdays, we'll have to arrange another space.  St. Bernard will foot the
bill for this up to a certain limit, and I happen to know a great space on
Mission Bay, near SeaWorld.  We will pre-arrange a reasonably fast network
connection and wireless APs if we host offsite; we have those at work
already.

Weather-wise, San Diego has a very mild climate, with warm but not hot
summers and cool but not cold winters.  May and June tend to be gloomy and
sometimes in October we burn down half the town, but other than that the
weather varies from pretty good to gorgeous.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes_at_softweyr.com