Re: help! I broke the partition table of the drive with thebootable partition!

From: Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari_at_supsi.ch>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:46:37 +0200
Hi Evan.

Evan Dower wrote:
> You'll need to run fdisk (or the visual version of fdisk in sysinstall
> that you can get to through Index->fdisk) to change the values back to
> what they were. In order for the partition to be marked bootable, it
> needs the flag 0x80 (active). In sysinstall's fdisk interface you can
> get the effect by pushing S (for Set bootable).
> I hope this helps you out,

Thank you for your reply. I fixed it using fdisk and bsdlabel.

I didn't want to run sysinstall because at present I don't have
a consistent system at hand.. in fact after upgrading from
5.2-p1 to 5.2.1-p3 the system had kernel panic late in
the boot process, during network configuration.. so I did
a restore.. but no full.. just /boot, /bin, /sbin, /lib,
/libexec and /etc.. so I don't feel confident in using
funny tools until I get the system back to a consistent state.

Best regards.
--
               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:roberto.nunnari_at_supsi.ch