Re: nss_ldap broken

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:48:51 -0800
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:48, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> >
> > > Sean, could you report how this patch works for you?  Hmm, actually, it
> > > looks almost identical to what you posted :-)  Is there a reason that
> > > you stored the value of `__isthreaded' in a local variable?  Did that
> > > make a difference for your case?
> >
> > I'm unsure how nss_ldap was built to depend on libpthread (or
> > any threads library).  I built it from ports and 'ldd' didn't
> > report any dependency on a threads library.
>
> I rebuilt it and now it does depend on libpthread.  I
> think it is because I had openldap-client-2.1.26 which
> didn't have a dependency on libpthread, but upgrading
> to openldap-client-2.1.28 brought in the dependency.
>
> Too bad these shared libraries can't be made to use
> the libgcc trick, so they can still be thread-safe
> but not depend on a threads library.  That would
> also make it easier to use different thread libraries
> for different applications relying on common shared
> libraries.

I'm unclear as to why any library that is thread-safe would need to be
linked with libpthread.so. Since libc already has the hooks in there, I
don't see why you need to link with it unless you are actually
using/relying on threads.  IMHO, we should just not link libpthread.so
into these shared libraries.

Sean