Re: missing libncurses.so.5 and other lib*

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:19:24 -0400
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman_at_es.net> wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 19:33:21 -0700
> > From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> > > Yes, I'm sure that he has backup tapes for his laptop.  *rolls eyes*
> >
> > You mean you don't back up the contents of your laptop that runs
> > -CURRENT?  You must like living dangerously and/or spending lots of time
> > recovering from errors.
>
> Lots of people live dangerously for a long time without realizing it.
> I've been running CURRENT on my laptop since months before 5.0-Release
> and I think I've only had to resort to my backup once. If I had been
> luckier, it would have never happened. (And, if my timing had been a bit
> worse, it could have happened a LOT more often.)
>
> Until someone has been bitten, they almost never do backups and, after
> being bitten they get careless after a while. Takes a few bites (or a
> really nasty one) before the lesson is really learned.

I never lost a single thing to -CURRENT (lost a few "just modified" files to
SoftUpdates/fsck default behavior, though) on my system for over half a
decade -- in fact, I don't remember reinstalling since 1998 or so -- until
an actual hardware failure recently.  One CPU fan stopped and the
temperatures got high enough I saw corruption of almost every partition on
one hard drive (thankfully, though, not /home).

I would never choose to equate running -CURRENT with "living dangerously."
I know there are several cases in the past where certain drivers have been
screwed up for a short period of time such that users of those
less-ubiquitous devices would see that, but not stuff like normal IDE hard
drives.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \