Re: panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir (5.2.1-p5)

From: Simon Barner <barner_at_in.tum.de>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:45:38 +0200
Hi,

the same thing happened again right now, but without the panic:

The system came up to the point when it starts local services. Then,
some services immediately dumped core because of missing files. After
hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the machine, I restarted it in single
user mode:

All file systems were mountable.
Luckily, I unmounted them and checked them although the claimed to be
clean. Fsck found the following errors on /var and /usr (both UFS2,
softupdates enabled).

PARTIALLY ALLOCATED INODE

I had fsck remove those inodes, and it also deleted some files (as it
seems those belonging to the above inodes).

Luckily, I did not lose anything but a few header files in
/usr/local/include, and some log files from /var/log, but somehow this
makes me nervous. Of course, I shut down the machine correctly in all
the cases.

Does anybody have any clues?

Simon