Re: nVidia FX Support?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:49:12 -0400
On Thursday 06 May 2004 09:00 am, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> Quoting Hendrik Hasenbein <hhasenbe_at_techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>:
> > Kenneth Culver wrote:

> >> I don't think the AGP hardware is broken, but BSD can't seem to route
> >> the interrupt correctly for the AGP port. It cause the video card to be
> >> routed to
> >> IRQ 11 in FreeBSD, but in Windows, it is routed to irq 16. They
> >> should be the
> >> same in both OS's, and since it works in windows, I'm assuming it's
> >> FreeBSD that's broken.
> >
> > No they don't need to be reported as the same interrupt. Just look at
> > APIC vs non-APIC. IRQ11 looks like non-APIC, IRQ16 is most likely APIC
> > driven.
> >
> > If you have agp in your kernel, remove that line and preload the
> > nvidia.ko from the bootloader. That way my system works with a 5900XT.
> > (nforce2, no apic, acpi enabled)
> >
> > Hendrik
>
> The thing that bugs me is that I have apic in the kernel, and the card
> is still
> at irq 11. I already tried removing agp from the kernel along with apic,
> but the only thing that shows up on the screen is garbage. (the machine
> doesn't hang though :-P.

Your BIOS sucks and doesn't properly tell us which interrupt to use.  I don't
know how Windows figures out which IRQ to use.  If I did I'd add that into
the current code as a workaround to this problem.  So, yes, FreeBSD isn't
routing the IRQ properly, but it's because the BIOS doesn't tell us where to
route it. :(