Re: 5.2.1 stability

From: Sven Willenberger <sven_at_dmv.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:49:32 -0400
On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 11:25 -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> We've been having SMP issues with 4.9 and 4.10 on a couple different pieces
> of hardware, but have had success with 5.2.1.  I asked this particular
> question ons freebsd-table, but I think -current might be a better place for
> it.
>
> If we can get our necessary services running on these boxes under 5.2.1, how
> stable is it likely to be?  Basically, if I setup one of these boxes as a
> mailserver, and it will only ever be a mailserver, can I expect the 5.2.1
> codebase to behave in the long term?

We have been running several 5.2.1 boxes as mailservers and have found
them to be stable at this point as follows:

running sendmail, we have 3 boxes load balanced that handle upwards of
1.5 to 2 million attempted email deliveries (I say attempted because a
lot of them get rejected by rbl lookups).

running sendmail + mimedefang + spamassassin we have 6 boxes load
balancing about 1/2 million emails. We do have an issue (which I have
posted here previously) concerning softupdates/kernel panics yet to be
resolved. I suspect that it is the mimedefang temp files causing this
and I am experimenting with moving those to a RAMdisk as a solution.

running courier-imap + procmail + qpopper and/or ipop3d on 3 boxes
without a hitch. Only tweak we had to do on the boxes with 20k+ local
accounts was create an /etc/nsswitch.conf file to have lookups done by
file rather than the [default] nis; this sped up the authentication
process immensely

All in all, I would say run with it!!

Sven