Re: ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but timeout fired LBA=21267353

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:17:02 +0200
Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

>>>as postend to freebsd-amd64 I am getting far too many of those and
>>>they won't stop.
>>>
>>> From time to time there is also
>>>ad10: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but taskqueue stalled LBA=...
>>>between all the ${subject} lines.
>>
>>Hmm, something is keeping the taskqueue busy, and its not ATA...
>
> but the thing starts with ${subject} and only after some dozen logs
> (multi monitor pages) I get one or two taskqueue stalled; afterwards
> ${subject} keeps scrolling again and everything starts from the
> beginning.

It always start like that, the stalled warning is the final operation
after 3 timeouts.

> Further more I can only reproduce it with heavy IO HDD traffic; it
> doesn't happen for network trafic, it doesn't happen when only working
> on a 512MB md0 memory disk I think. It happens once I copy sources to
> HDD, have src or obj on HDD and compiling world.
>
> The strange thing that made makes me thinking is that I also get it
> when using atacontrol and set the channel to PIO0 BIOSPIO;

The transfer mode has no meaning here, the ATA HW and driver has done
its bits when this fails, but it cannot get results returned back to the
system via the taskqueue subsystem. When the "stalled" warning shows up
ATA forces the result back circumventing the taskqueues.

> is there any way how I could get to know what's keeping the taskqueue
> busy ? if scrolling starts no user interaction is possible anymore.

Instrumenting the queue code ?

--
-Søren