Re: Installing on large disks

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:57:41 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darryl Okahata" <darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com>
> > Although I see your point, I need/want a selector which understands the fact
> > that
> > the slice on which the bootcode is is at the far, far end of the disk.
> > ASnd from what I gather, this will just replace the selector code which
norma
> > lly
> > lives in the MBR???
>
>      Yes, but this MBR boot sector understands how to locate and load
> the boot code "at the far end of the disk", if packet mode is enabled
> (and if your motherboard BIOS supports packet mode, which most modern
> motherboards should).

But MBR is where things like booteasy and grub also live??
So that functionality is lost. Or is boot0 called by booteasy/grub?
If not then this does not fullfill the requirements that I want a
selector at start time.
And it is not very clear to me that this would allow me to boot
win 2k and/or win 64XP.

Next to having tried it superfluously, and not getting it to work.
It kept getting to booteasy. But that very well could be pilot error
since I did not spent too much time on it

--WjW