lockups

From: Jason King <jasonking_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:35:34 -0500
I'm having some problems with -CURRENT locking up, I'm hoping maybe
someone will have some suggestions.

Symptoms:

(This is both on 5.2.1-CURRENT as well as booting off the 5.2.1-RELEASE
cdrom)

During normal boot, kernel freezes before it even starts init.
Ctrl-Alt-Delete does not work, power button must be used to reboot.

boot -v reveals 'Interrupt storm on "dc0"; throttling interrupt
source'.  Thinking it might be a bad network card (though it works fine
in XP and worked fine when I had 5.1-RELEASE installed), I removed the
card, and I got the same error, just on a different device (pcm0).

Booting into safe mode works without incident

Booting with ACPI disabled works, however it is *significantly* slower
than booting into safe mode (>5 minutes from boot->init started vs.
~1min in safe mode)

X 4.3.0 locks up system (cannot ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-alt-backspace, or
ctrl-alt-esc) when invoked with anything but a depth of 8 (might be
unrelated, but thought it worth mentioning)

Building a new kernel with ddb installed and with debugging symbols,
same symptoms appear.  Ctrl-Alt-Esc does not work when the system
freezes, though if i boot into safe mode, it works just fine and drops
me to the debugger.

I at one point had 5.1-RELEASE installed on the same system (absolutely
no hardware changes), without any issues.

Hardware:
    AMD Athlon XP 2400 (NOT overclocked or tweaked in any way), 512MB ram
    Gigabyte 7-N400-L1 (nForce 2 chipset)
    ATI Radeon 7500 gfx card
    Seagate ST3120026A 120MB ATA/100 HD (on primary ide channel)
    Plextor PX-W1210A CDRW (on secondary ide channel)
    Lite-On 10/100 PCI Ethernet

Any pointers or additional suggestions to try to narrow down the cause
of the lockups would be appreciated