Re: hostap TX fix in 5.x [Fwd: Re: wi hostap speed]

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:14:34 -0400
Scott Pilz <scottp_at_tznet.com> wrote:
> 	Brian, speeds are limited to under 180KBytes/sec while in hostap
> mode. Take any 5.x box with the wi drivers and a prism 2.5 based card (in
> order for hostap to work properly). Set it up to be an access point
> (mediaopt hostap, doesn't matter what you use for media, I have used both
> autoselect, 11Mbps, etc.) Use any radio equipment to connect to the access
> point (from Lucent to Tranzeo to SmartBridges, you name it, doesn't matter
> as long as it's 802.11b compatible obviously).. You'll get a maximum
> DOWNLOAD of about 180Kbps if you're lucky.. Upload works fine at
> 500+Kbps.. Now, take that exact same setup without changing anything on a
> 4.9 system - download speeds (to the client radio) are back up to 500+
> Kbps.
>
> 	This is just off the top of my head, but there was some major
> reconstruction in wi(4) from 4.9 to 5.x. It's been broken since day one
> since the first release of 5.x.. so looking at 'what changed' in CVS
> probably won't help you. My guess is that it's not going to be easily
> found. Bless anyone who wants to look into this - as this has been a real
> nightmare.

What are you testing with to get those figures?  I will try this out at work
on Monday where I have umpteen boxes and PRISM 2.x cards if you can give me
even more exact reproduction steps.  If you don't say anything I'm just
going to try netperf TCP stream tests on a non-WEP hostap network.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \