Re: lockups

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:09:32 -0400
On Friday 14 May 2004 08:54 pm, Jason King wrote:
> ok i'm a dumbass... in my haste this morning, i commented out the wrong
> line in my config file, so when i tried disabling mixed mode, apic
> support wasn't even compiled in the kernel.  So to make extra sure, I
> went back and explicitly tried it with the 5.2.1-RELEASE cd (disabling
> apic worked, disabling mixed mode did not), so its really something
> related to apic support.  So next question, what can I do to track down
> the problem?  Any suggestions for resources to understand how the apic
> stuff works?  Might there be a way to grab the kernel messages even
> after a reboot since the lockups don't even my to drop to the debugger?
> Doing a boot -v generated a bunch of text that I couldn't read as it
> scrolled by too fast, and I'm wondering if it might possibly help shed
> some light as to what's going on...

Note that you can't disable mixed mode via a tunable on 5.2.1, so you might
want to retest disabling mixed mode.  However, the first steps are to work on
the non-ACPI case as that is easiest.  I'll need 'mptable' output and dmesg
output from a verbose boot with APIC enabled and ACPI disabled if you can get
that.  Thanks.