cannot upgrade from 5.2.1 to -current (-current kernel fails to boot)

From: Jonathan Stewart <jonstew1983_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:38:36 -0700 (PDT)
Note: If this is a poor email please let me know how to improve it.

I am still fairly new to FreeBSD (I suppose I could be considered a
"newbie") but I have some basic programming and scripting background
from Windows and web page projects, kernel stuff is way beyond me right
now.  I am willing to try anything I need to as this system is just
being used for experimentation.  I have attached a boot -v and name -a
from 5.2.1 release and would post a boot -v from current but I don't
know how.  My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 with 1GB of RAM.
I am still dual booting with Windows :( and have a shared partition
(FAT32) I can dump data onto.  (I don't have email setup on Free BSD
yet
although if that would help at some point I'll figure it out)

			Thanks for anything,
			Jonathan

PS. I tried to send this from my main email account (I am subscribed
with it) but it failed with this message "freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org:
smtp;450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname,
[143.69.242.38]" if anyone knows an easy fix I would appreciate it.