ongoing ata cdrom annoyance

From: <andrew.lankford_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:33:39 -0500
A little over one release ago, I found that inserting an audio cd into my cdrom and quickly instructing it to play (via cdcontrol) would crash my machine.  It was an intermittent problem that seemed to disappear several make worlds later, but it's back.  The computer doesn't lock up now, but instead the cdrom goes into a coma and sends an endless string of warnings to the console:

acd1: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun 18>0
acd1: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun 18>0

It only stops when I eject the cd.  If I'm lucky, the cdrom settles down and behaves itself after I reinsert the same audio cd.  If not, it's more of those messages.

Attached is dmesg output of my latest boot.  I have a DVDRom on the secondary master and a CDRW (the one generating the warnings above) as secondary slave.  Both seem to have this problem.  You'll also notice that atapicam complains when there's an audio cd inserted during boot.

Andrew Lankford