Re: sio / puc wedging on both -current and -stable

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:49:43 -0400
Hi,
Thanks for the response! I will work on providing the information below
today.  One quick note that I am not sure if its a fluke yet or something
important, the problem *seems* to go away, if on the STABLE box, I remove
the defs for sio2 and sio3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9
#device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
#device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

But it has not yet locked up in 12hrs and it usually takes 15-40min.

On a possibly related point, I think I might have locked up my firewall at
home in a similar manner once.  I tried once to attach to a com port that
was defined in the kernel, but disabled in the BIOS.  This froze up the
machine.  I wonder now if it was perhaps the same root cause.

<more info below>

At 11:50 PM 17/05/2004, Bruce Evans wrote:

>Going through intr_mux() means that the interrupt is not fast
>(options PUC_FASTINTR).  Try that.

OK, but I thought one is not supposed to use that option if the Interrupts
are shared no ?

>It may be significant that the hang seems to occur while openig the console
>device.  Do you have a serial console on the puc device?  I thought that
>this doesn't work.

No, I have it on just the built in cuaa0. The hangs will happen with or
without serial console support. I only moved to the serial debugger as I
could not hit CTL+ALT+ESC to get into the debugger from the keyboard.  Also
this way I could control it from my workstation (its on an APC power
console as well so I can reboot it remotely from home if need be!)

>Did it work before then?  The driver hasn't changed since long before then.

I think it might have always been a problem.

         ---Mike