Re: anoncvs.FreeBSD.org gone?

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 04:21:48 -0500
On 05/25/04 03:17, Colin Percival wrote:
> At 09:07 25/05/2004, Jon Noack wrote:
>> For the last couple days I have been unable to resolve
>> anoncvs.FreeBSD.org.  It appears to have disappeared even from the
>> FreeBSD DNS servers:
>
> I believe that anoncvs was recently taken offline due to security
> concerns.

OK.

>> The handbook still mentions anoncvs.FreeBSD.org -- what is the best
>> anonymous CVS server for someone in the US?
>
> This may be a silly question, but why do you need anoncvs?

Well, I've made various local modifications to the source tree that are
easy to keep around with anoncvs.  For example, I got mad at the output
of file(1) for recent versions of FreeBSD and created a patch for it
(see below for more info).  I've written a script to reapply the patch
after every CVSup, but this script is only workable if you have a
limited number of patches.  After a while (adding more patches) I got
fed up and started using anoncvs instead and let CVS do the merging.
Can you recommend a better way of doing this?  I wouldn't it put it past
myself to miss the obvious here...

Jon Noack

file(1) patch:
I sent the patch upstream to Christos Zoulas (file's author), but he
hasn't released a version with it (4.08+ are partially fixed, but are
still rather broken).  This patch includes proper detection of FreeBSD
4.10 with it's funky __FreeBSD_version.  I will push for an import of
whatever version of file is released with this patch.  Compare your
output of 'file /usr/bin/file' with my patched version below:

$ uname -r
5.2.1-RELEASE-p6
$ file /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.2.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
stripped

My version also tries to determine (with decent success) whether you're
running a development version and will then also print the
__FreeBSD_version of the executable:

$ uname -r
5.2-CURRENT
$ file /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.2 (502112), dynamically linked (uses shared
libs), stripped

The submitted patch against file 4.08 (will not apply to FreeBSD's
version of file):
http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/readelf.c.diff

A quick and dirty patch using the same algorithm that applies cleanly to
FreeBSD's file (version 3.41 -- src/contrib/file/readelf.c):
http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/readelf.c.diff-freebsd