Re: lockups on Thinkpad T41

From: Nikolay Denev <nike_d_at_cytexbg.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:37:33 +0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Hauser" <kent.hauser_at_verizon.net>
To: <current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 11:50 PM
Subject: lockups on Thinkpad T41

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble with -CURRENT on my new Thinkpad.
> I'm running 5/24/04 -CURRENT with GENERIC kernel & the machine "locks up"
(ie
> no keyboard echo and/or no mouse movement) when I do the following:
>
> Without ACPI:
>
> boot single user & wait 30-60 seconds. Keyboard echo stops.
>
> With ACPI:
>
> 1) push button which causes onscreen display (eg mute, volume, brightness)
> locks up single user or under X. Machine locks up.
>
> 2) run "halt" -- you get "vnlru stopping ... stopped" then nothing.
>
> I've taken to entering single user, umounting all filesystems, running
"halt"
> & then holding down power switch to stop machine.
>
> On the other hand, wireless, onboard ethernet, and X work great. looking
> forward to getting last nits ironed out.
>
> Any pointers/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Kent

This seems to be common ThinkPad problem with -CURRENT and 5.X,
this should help :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019435.html
alternatively you can use the DOS based setup tool called 'PS2' that can be
downloaded from ibm's site,
to disable devide 'IDE2'.
This worked for me, and others too.

Hope this helps.