Re: Softupdates a mount option?

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:18:38 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 27 May 2004, Ivan Voras wrote:

> - I was creating a md drive with mdmfs, and it felt rather awkward to
> control softupdates via command line parameters (a sidequestion: does it
> make any sense enabling SU on a memory drive by default?). As it seems
> now, every such utility that handles (well, at least creates) a ffs
> filesystem must handle SU-controlling options as command line parameters.

It makes sense to never enable soft updates on a memory drive, since soft
updates uses extra CPU cycles to try to speed up i/o to real drives (and
lately it doesn't seem to be very successful in doing the latter -- here
it is now about the same speed as normal mounts for copying /usr/src but
was 1.5 times faster a few years ago; async mounts are still 2.5 times
faster).

Bruce