Re: APIC, ACPI nforce

From: Hendrik Hasenbein <hhasenbe_at_techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:14:06 +0200
David Gurvich wrote:

> I've been having some trouble with nforce motherboard and
> FreeBSD-5.2.1-CURRENT.  The only combinations that I have found
> to work consistently are disabling ACPI  with hw.acpi.0.disabled="1" and
> either no PM or using apm, or enabling ACPI and APIC disabled with
> hw.apic.0.disabled="1".  This solution would not work for SMP kernel.
>    I'm not sure of the exact problem but there seems to be an irq
> sharing issue when both ACPI and APIC are enabled.  These coexisted with
> 11/2003 5.1 but as of 5.2.1 there have been problems for me.  Onbord
> Lan, USB, and either ACPI or APIC cannot coexist.  Boot with ACPI&APIC,
> start if_nv (nvnet) using dhclient,  USB-OHCI mouse.
> Use the onboard lan, i.e. open web-browser.  USB no longer responds, and
> onboard lan timeout.  No way to restart either without reboot.  Both work
> perfectly if either ACPI, or APIC is not started.  The mouse and lan are
> both
> on pci0 at irq 10.

APIC is broken on nforce2 boards. I got an ASUS mainboard and the clock
interrupt gets screwed up if I enable APIC. The boards are designed for
a single processor so the only problem is that APIC is turned on by
default now. I have heard of BIOS versions that could fix the interrupt
problem, but I havent tried them yet.

Hendrik