RE: hang with raid, postgresql

From: Don Bowman <don_at_sandvine.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:19:38 -0400
From: Doug White [mailto:dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com]
> On Sun, 30 May 2004, Don Bowman wrote:
>

> > I have a system with 2x 2.8GHz XEON (P4), intel e7501 chipset,
> > 4GB of ram, aac [adaptec 2200s] raid with 4 scsi
> > disks. I have also tried asr (adaptec 2015).
> > I have tried two different motherboards.
> > The only application the machine runs is postgresql,
> > with about ~30 databases, about ~250GB of data.
> >
> > I'm finding the machine locks up solid once a day
> > or so (sometimes more, sometimes less, no pattern
> > of time of day). I know its not a hardware issue, it
> > is reliable with FreeBSD 4.7. I've run through memory
> > test, disk test, etc.
> >
> > There appears to be a correlation between
> > disk activity (postgresql vacuum) and the lockup,
> > but i can't be sure.
>
> Temperature?
>
> What motherboard is it exactly?

lmmon shows the mobo temperature _at_ 28C. It is in
an AC-controlled environment (~20C ambient). The system
has 6 blower fans, ducted over the CPU's, with the
copper heat sinks designed for the 3.2GHz XEON.
It has 3 power supplies, each with separate AC
inlet, fed from a UPS with filtered power.
It should have ~150% airflow redundancy, and
~200% power redundancy.
This is a supermicro X5DPE motherboard.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/933/SC933S2-R760.cfm
shows the system.
It was tested for ~1week with FreebSD 4.7
at temperature in an environmental chamber,
including cycling into memtest86 every 2 hours.

I've been battling this hang for ~6weeks, this is
a swap-out of all the hardware (new system).

--don