RE: hang with raid, postgresql

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 30 May 2004, Don Bowman wrote:

> From: Doug White [mailto:dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com]
> > On Sun, 30 May 2004, Don Bowman wrote:
> >

> > > I have a system with 2x 2.8GHz XEON (P4), intel e7501 chipset,
> > > 4GB of ram, aac [adaptec 2200s] raid with 4 scsi
> > > disks. I have also tried asr (adaptec 2015).
> > > I have tried two different motherboards.
> > > The only application the machine runs is postgresql,
> > > with about ~30 databases, about ~250GB of data.
> > >
> > > I'm finding the machine locks up solid once a day
> > > or so (sometimes more, sometimes less, no pattern
> > > of time of day). I know its not a hardware issue, it
> > > is reliable with FreeBSD 4.7. I've run through memory
> > > test, disk test, etc.
> > >
> > > There appears to be a correlation between
> > > disk activity (postgresql vacuum) and the lockup,
> > > but i can't be sure.
> >
> > Temperature?
> >
> > What motherboard is it exactly?
>
> lmmon shows the mobo temperature _at_ 28C. It is in
> an AC-controlled environment (~20C ambient). The system
> has 6 blower fans, ducted over the CPU's, with the
> copper heat sinks designed for the 3.2GHz XEON.

alright so its a pretty beefy server chassis, although it could also be an
underperforming power supply or a scsi terminator.

> It has 3 power supplies, each with separate AC
> inlet, fed from a UPS with filtered power.
> It should have ~150% airflow redundancy, and
> ~200% power redundancy.
> This is a supermicro X5DPE motherboard.

Do you happen to have the IPMI option board for this system?

> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/933/SC933S2-R760.cfm
> shows the system.

Thats the chassis :-)

> It was tested for ~1week with FreebSD 4.7
> at temperature in an environmental chamber,
> including cycling into memtest86 every 2 hours.
>
> I've been battling this hang for ~6weeks, this is
> a swap-out of all the hardware (new system).

Still seems hardware-related to me, although I've found hard hangs caused
by buggy optimization on amd64.