Re: -RC2 needs BootMngr to control certail partition layout

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:33:45 +0100
Am Montag, 1. November 2004 17:09 schrieb Patrick Tracanelli:
> I've noted a courious behaviour w/ standard boot code. I've just
> installed, as usual, a "real life" testing enviroment, the partition
> layout is disposed this way:
>
> /dev/ad0s1b     none
> /dev/ad0s2b     none
> /dev/ad0s1a     /
> /dev/ad0s1d     /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1e     /usr
> /dev/ad0s2d     /usr/home
> /dev/ad0s1f     /var
> /dev/ad0s1g     /var/qmail
> /dev/ad0s2e     /usr/local/vpopmail
>
> If I install the standard boot code via sysinstall the first reboot
> after installation does not boot the system. It shows up a "invalid
> partition table" message and stops.

This is a known bug in sysinstall, you're creating two slices with id 165
(FreeBSD) and sysinstall wrongly sets both active.
See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=72895

Just use fdisk -u from the command line and if it asks you weather you want to
change the active partition, say yes and type 1, then write the new table.

-Harry