Re: 5.3 + dhclient: bpf needed in kernel config?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:33:56 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Rob wrote:

> Aha. So I added bpf to my kernel config, recompiled and installed
> everything again.
>
> Yesterday this PC has been upgraded from 4.10 to most recent 5.3. I have
> in /etc/rc.conf
>
>     ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
>
> which worked jsut fine with 4.10, but seems to misserably fail with 5.3.
>
> Dhclient binds rl0 to 192.168.1.22 all the time, which seems to be a
> kind of default for a failing dhclient.
>
> Is something else, unusual, needed in 5.3, that is critical to dhclient?

Other than BPF and, of course, INET, I don't know of specific other
dependencies.  I would suggest hooking up tcpdump to the interface before
running dhclient, and using a command something like the following:

    tcpdump -p -i rl0 udp port dhcpc or udp port dhcps &

And see what packets go out while dhclient runs.  BTW, dhclient gets
somewhat confused if run more than once, so I might do a "killall
dhclient" before experimenting to be on the safe side.  If it was
upgraded, you might try deleting the old leases database
(/var/db/dhclient.leases).

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research