Re: FreeBSD 5.3-RC2 Available

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:54:31 -0500
On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 04:53:33PM +0100, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 31. Oktober 2004 21:19 schrieb Ken Smith:
> > The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is proud to announce the
> > availability of FreeBSD 5.3-RC2.  Two critical issues came up
> > during RC1 testing and it is felt the fixes warrant one more RC
> > so they receive widespread testing.   If no more show-stopper
> > problems are found this will be the last test release done before
> > 5.3-RELEASE.
>
> Sorry for wasting your time, but why is there such a big difference between
> -stable and RC2? Shouldn't RELENG_5 be the same as _5_3_0_RELEASE  and _5_3
> at that time?
> Is the network locking data structure changes really in RC2? I see many
> changes only appearing in -stable also many ata-fixes only seem to be in
> -stable (RELENG_5).

Don't apologize - no problem.

I just did a cvs diff to make sure, and I'm not seeing any unexpected
differences between RELENG_5 and RELENG_5_3.  The diff will show you
a bunch of files, many along the lines of what you mention, but the
only differences that it shows you are in the CVS version number
strings.  The rest of the contents of the files are identical.

There are a few files where that is not the case (e.g. src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
and a few others like that.  There is also the recent MFC of the libpthread
stuff to RELENG_5 that shows up as different between RELENG_5 and
RELENG_5_3, as well as some of the release related documentation.  But
other than that I don't see any differences in the cvs diff.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu